The Employer Sponsored visa category allows Australian employers to employ suitably qualified skilled workers from overseas. Most of these visas allow people to move to Australia, to live in Australia permanently and to work in Australia.
- Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
This temporary work visa is available to employers wanting to sponsor and employ workers from overseas who have recognised qualifications and skills in particular occupations. Applicants for this visa may be inside or outside Australia. This visa is valid for either 2 years or 4 years depending on the occupation nominated.
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) on a temporary basis only in occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) for a TSS visa. It can be used to fill positions for a maximum of two years or four years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) for periods of up to four years in occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) for a TSS.
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas worker) and has entered into a labour agreement with the Department.
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
This work visa allows Australian employers to sponsor workers from overseas for a permanent visa to work in Australia. The employees can be either highly skilled workers from overseas OR highly skilled temporary residents currently in Australia.
Visa applicants who currently are in or outside of Australia and have a prospective sponsor can apply for sponsored 186 Visa, otherwise known as the employer sponsored scheme.
- Employer & Position Requirements for the Employer Nomination Scheme
To participate in the Employer Nomination Scheme, the employer must:
- be actively and lawfully operating a business in Australia
- have a genuine need for a paid employee to fill a position in their business
- follow all relevant Australian laws and have a satisfactory record of meeting immigration laws (if applicable)
- have met training benchmark requirement
- provide the employee with an offer of permanent employment
- The nominated position must meet the following requirements:
- be full-time, ongoing and available for at least 2 years
- provide working conditions that are no less favourable than provided for under the relevant Australian legislation and awards
- be a highly skilled occupation that is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) and it must meet the minimum salary level for ENS.
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme ‘RSMS’ (Subclass 187)
This work visa allows Australian employers in regional or low population growth areas of Australia to fill skilled positions that they are unable to fill from the local labour force with skilled workers from overseas OR highly skilled temporary residents currently in Australia.
A regional certifying body must first certify the nominated position against the following criteria:
- Business must be actively and lawfully operating in Regional Australia
- The position must be available for a minimum of two (2) years
- The business requires a person for the nominated position and satisfies the market rate requirement
In addition to the above, the department will also assess the application against the following criteria:
- the nomination has been approved by the relevant Regional Certifying Body
- the business follows all relevant Australian laws and has a satisfactory record of meeting immigration laws (if applicable)
- the nominated position is in a business operated by the employer
- the position is being remunerated in accordance with relevant workplace legislation and awards.
The Employee must:
- have the relevant qualifications and/or work experience for the nominated position which are equivalent to the Australian standard (Skills Assessment may be required in some circumstances)
- meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements which allow you to work unsupervised and without further training
- have been offered a full time position for a fixed term of at least two years (supported by evidence of a contract or letter of appointment signed by both the employer and the employee)
- be under 50 years old
- have Competent English language ability
- Temporary Residence Transition stream:
If you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia, your skills do not need to be assessed.
You must have at least vocational English. No Regional Certification is required for this stream.