People born in Australia to Australian parents or permanent resident parents are automatically granted Australian citizenship. If you have migrated to Australia and meet the eligibility requirements you can apply for, and be ‘given’, Australian citizenship by conferral.
There are several citizenship application types available. You are likely to be eligible to apply if you are a:
- Migrant with permanent residence
- Spouse or partner of an Australian citizen
- New Zealand citizen living in Australia
- Child of a former Australian citizen
- Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme arrival
- Refugee or humanitarian entrant
- Person born in Papua before independence in 1975
- The time and information required to apply for and be granted Australian citizenship varies, and the application process will typically involve a citizenship test or interview to determine your eligibility.
AE Global team of registered migrant agents can assist you to apply for Australian citizenship, and can help answer any questions you may have regarding your eligibility.