- Student visa
Australia is a great place to study. It provides high-quality courses, a fantastic lifestyle and a welcoming environment for international students. Once you have been accepted into your Australian course, the next step is to organise your student visa.
Before you apply for an Australian course, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA)or your nearest Australian visa office to find out whether you will be eligible for a student visa, how to make your application and what documents are required.
General and evidentiary student visa requirements
There are various general and evidentiary requirements that international students must meet in order to be eligible for a student visa. These include requirements relating to:
- your health
- your character
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC)
- being free of debts to the Commonwealth of Australia
- custody, accommodation and general welfare arrangements for students under 18 years of age
- your capacity to cover the cost of air fares, course tuition fees and living costs
- for you and your family members for the duration of your stay in Australia
- your academic record and qualifications completed
- your English language proficiency
- proving that you are a genuine temporary entrant.
Applying for a student visa
You need a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your education provider to apply for your student visa. Letters of offer are no longer accepted, even at the application stage. Applications are lodged online. The amount of evidence you are required to provide with your application will depend on your country of origin and intended education provider. You can use the document checklist tool on the DOHA website for an indication of the evidence you will need to submit.
Students can apply for two or more courses on the same student visa when there is clear progression from one course to the next. The final course a student undertakes is classified as their main (or principal) course of study and is used to determine evidentiary requirements.