The Department of Home Affairs (DHA), Australia has set up the SSVF (Simplified student visa framework) to help assess student visa applications, and thus identify whether they need to go through the regular or streamlined process. This is done based on the education provider and intended course of study; as well as country of origin of the passport.
Effective from 1st July 2016, international students who want to come to Australia to study full-time at a registered educational institution must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500). You can study in a CRICOS registered full-time course in Australia. There are many different courses an international student may enrol in, and it is possible to apply for permission to work part-time while studying.
You can study at all levels of education, including primary, secondary, tertiary, postgraduate and trade related courses.


  • MUST fulfill English language and financial capability conditions as specified by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), Australia; along with the general requirements
  • Must show the evidence of funds


  • NOT MANDATORY to supplement proof of English language proficiency or financial capability for assessment of visa application
  • Evidence of funds are not required

General Requirements for enrolment

  • Statement of purpose to state how you meet GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria)
  • Health tests must be done and have satisfactory results Visa applicant(s) might need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process and can choose to undertake them prior to lodging the visa application.
  • All character requirements must be met
  • Visa applicant(s) must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. It can be only meet by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), unless exempted.
  • History of past employment and qualifications received
  • Parental consent and welfare arrangements + evidence of school enrolment for student visa applicants below 18 years of age
  • English language requirements must be met (N/A for streamlined process) It is usually fulfilled by a satisfactory test score in an approved English language test, unless exempted. The following English language test providers such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, CAE, OET scores are acceptable for visa purpose.
  • Proof of financial sufficiency for duration of course/ stay in Australia
    • sufficient funds to cover travel costs to Australia and 12 months’ tuition, living and schooling costs (for school aged dependents, if applicable) for the main visa applicant and Accompanying family members, or
    • evidence that the spouse or parents of the main applicant are providing financial support and they have an annual income of at least AUD 60,000 for a single student visa application or at least AUD 70,000 for a visa application that includes accompanying family members
    • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form for secondary exchange students only
    • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) or Department of Defence
  • Accompanying Family member
    • Dependent family member(s) can make a combined Student visa application along with the main applicant or they can apply for Student visa, as subsequent entrant(s), to join the main visa holder later, provided the main visa holder has declared them in the visa application or they became a dependent family member after the grant of the visa (such as a newborn baby).
    • The main applicant must have adequate funds to support self and all accompanying family members, as determined by the financial capacity requirements.
    • Accompanying family members can generally work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
    • If the main visa holder is doing a master’s degree or a doctoral degree, family members can work unlimited hours, unless restricted by state and territory laws.
  • Visa entitlements
    • Main visa holder can study registered full-time course(s) in Australia.
    • Visa holder(s) can generally work a specified number of hours.
    • Visa holder(s) can generally stay in Australia until the course is finished.

Connect With Us

Brisbane: Suit 1, LEVEL 5, 141 QUEEN STREET
(T & C Building) Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Sydney: 383-359 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia